Yes, your spouse could be covered as a Dependent under your WAEPA Certificate, restricted to no more than 50% of your coverage, with a maximum of $500,000, and rates are based on your; the Member’s age.


Your spouse may be covered as an Associate member. Your spouse may apply for up to the Member maximum of $1.5 million (dependent on age) and, in this case, the rates would be based on your spouse’s age.

An Associate Member is a full-fledged member with all of the same rights and privileges as a Member who gained their eligibility from federal service. Once a person becomes a WAEPA Member they can pass Associate Membership to their respective spouse. You just need to join WAEPA, as a federal, civilian employee, or retired annuitant to gain this opportunity for your family.

Please view our WAEPA vs. FEGLI Benefit Comparison page. To apply for Associate membership, a spouse must be a legal permanent resident with a tax ID or SSN. WAEPA member dependent coverage applies to dependents (regardless of U.S. resident status).