FAQ: New Federal Employees
← Back to all FAQs
You can receive $25,000, $50,000, $75,000, or $100,000 of coverage.▲ Back to top
To receive guaranteed issue coverage, you must:
- Be a newly hired, first-time civilian federal employee
- Apply within 365 days of your original federal hire date
- Be a United States citizen under 70 years old
- You are not eligible if you have moved from one federal position to another
Members of the U.S. military are not eligible.▲ Back to top
No Medical Exam or Physician Reports are required.▲ Back to top
The life insurance plan includes these benefits for accidental death and dismemberment. If death results from a accident while you are riding on a common carrier (such as an airline, bus, train, or ship) as a paying passenger, the benefit will be payable to your beneficiary.
25% of your coverage amount for Accidental Death and Dismemberment (ADD).
40% of your coverage amount for a Travel Accident.
If you need more than $100,000 in coverage you can apply to increase your WAEPA coverage at any time (depending on your age). You can also apply for coverage for your dependent spouse and children.▲ Back to top
Yes, you can enroll for both WAEPA and FEGLI at the same time.▲ Back to top
Enrollment is easy. Here’s all you do:
- Choose $25,000, $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000 of coverage and complete and sign the Online Enrollment Form.
Or to mail in your completed application, do the additional steps below:
- Include your premium payment and lifetime WAEPA membership fee ($2.00) (make check payable to WAEPA).
- Mail your payment (and your enrollment form if you did not use the online form with Electronic Signature) to:
433 Park Avenue
Falls Church, Virginia 22046
As a WAEPA member, you may be able to save on additional coverage amounts available to you. Find out more by going to this page – Member Life Rate Charts▲ Back to top