For my spouse to be covered under insurance purchased through WAEPA, do they have to be a US Citizen? For example, can I cover my spouse who is a Resident Alien in the US?

WAEPA member dependent coverage applies to dependents (regardless of US resident status).

To apply for Associate Membership, a spouse must be a legal permanent resident with a tax ID or SSN.